1.What are the main changes to the program?
The changes to the program include integrating the Business Development program with Wage Support as one, to effectively serve the needs of enterprises. The program is set to include the largest possible segment of enterprises, including micro, small, and medium, as the areas of support within the Business Development program have been extended with more flexibility to include objective based tracks, different types of wage support, and supporting service providers with virtual CRs.
2.What are the main services covered under the Business Development program?
3.What services are included under Business Development?
- Machinery & Equipment
- Information Communication & Technology (ICT)
- Cloud Computing
- Marketing & Branding
- Exhibition Participation
- Business Consulting
- Quality Improvement
All services are supported 50% with the exception of Cloud Computing that is supported 100% up to the allocated grant amount.
4.What services are included under Human Capital?
5.What is the eligibility criteria for the program?
- Enterprise should have an active CR/license in the Kingdom of Bahrain
- Enterprise is classified as micro, small or medium (up to 100 employees and/or revenues up to BHD 3 million)
- Enterprise should not have an active contract under the Business Development program in its previous version
- Enterprise should not be owned more than 50% by the Government
- Enterprise should not have an active LMRA offenses
- Enterprises should not have active violation(s) or blacklisted by Tamkeen
6.Who are the targeted customers?
- Virtual CRs, micro, small and medium enterprises
- Large enterprises are excluded to benefit from the program (more than 100 employees or BD 3M revenues)
7.Can I apply to the program if I am registered as a “CR without license”?
You may apply to the program; however, you will not be granted any financial support until your license status is “Active”.
8.Can I benefit if the legal status of the commercial registration is "Under Sequester”?
9.Can I convert a Virtual CR to a Conventional CR?
Yes, however your contract/application will not be re-evaluated.
10.Can I convert a Conventional CR to a Virtual CR?
No, in case the enterprise converts their Conventional CR to a Virtual CR it will be considered as a violation.
11.Can I use the grant amount for multiple branches?
Yes, it is possible, but the branches are required to have similar business activities.
12.Can I submit more than one application?
Yes, as long it is for different business activities.
13.How can I apply for the program?
- Create and activate an online account with Tamkeen
- Login to Tamkeen’s portal and add your enterprise details under “My Ventures”
- Click on Business Development and start filling an application
- Provide enterprise bank details and attach supporting documents
- Select areas of support then submit application
14.What information do I need to prepare before applying?
The enterprise must provide information related to the entity, including but not limited to: information about business goals, operations, marketing, human capital, financial data, etc.
15.How long does it take to complete the application form?
The application process varies depending on the enterprise size and requirements. The process can take an average of 3 hours depending on the availability of information.
16.What documents are required for the application?
- Last month bank statement
- Last month EWA bill (not required for Virtual CRs)
- Smart Card for Primary and/or Authorized Signatory
- Authorization letter to the authorized person (if needed)
- Management Accounts/ Audited Financial Statements (if available)
- Feasibility Study/ Business Plan (if available)
- Pictures of the outdoor signboard
- Pictures of the office/workspace
- Quotations/ proposals for (Machinery & Equipment, Marketing, ICT, etc.)
- Employment Contracts/ job description for employees
17.What are the main stages for the application?
Customer must select the desired contract period and confirm on the approval via the portal.
- Tamkeen will review the comprehensiveness of the application form and authenticity/completeness of the documents
- Tamkeen then will initiate a virtual site visit to inspect the suitability of the premises and size (if required)
- Tamkeen will initiate a virtual meeting session to understand the customer’s requirements (if required)
- Tamkeen will assess the application and support requested and calculate a grant amount
- If deemed eligible Tamkeen will issue an approval
18.How long is the contract period?
The enterprise has the option to select between 3, 4 or 5 years as a contract period to execute desired plans and utilize the support.
19.What is the virtual site visit?
It is a video call with the applicant where the applicant will be asked to turn on their camera to conduct the virtual site visit. The call will be recorded for validation purposes.
20.How is the virtual site visit conducted?
The applicant is contacted to set the preferred time/date for the virtual visit. A text message with a link will then be sent to start the site visit over the phone.
21.What is a virtual meeting?
22.How is the virtual meeting conducted?
The applicant is contacted to set the preferred meeting time/date, followed by an email and SMS to confirm the virtual meeting.
23.Who should attend the assessment meeting?
The owner(s) of the enterprise, or the authorized representative of the enterprise.
24.What is the “Support Approval”?
The enterprise will receive a detailed letter once the application is approved, which includes all agreed items/services to be supported by Tamkeen for the period of the contract. The support approval specifies the following:
- The total amount of the grant and areas of support
- Necessary actions to be taken
- Approved items/services and details of human capital support in each area
- Special conditions that the enterprise must meet to obtain the final approval (if necessary)
- Main terms and conditions related to the program
25.What happens if I do not agree to the support approval?
The enterprise can amend the areas of support by adding and deleting the required items/services according to the priorities and needs of the enterprise.
26.Can I amend the “Support Approval” after it has been confirmed?
Yes, via Tamkeen’s online portal.
27.What are the most important steps after obtaining the “Support Approval”?
- For Human Capital support:
- The enterprise and employee must confirm the “Support Approval”, by clicking on the link that will be sent by e-mail and text messages
- For the items/services:
- The enterprise must confirm the “Support Approval”
- Completing the purchase of the listed items/services prior to the monitoring due date
28.What is the allowed period to utilize the grant amount?
- For items/services: enterprise must purchase and submit a payment request prior to monitoring due date which is the last 18 months of the contract duration
- For Human Capital: till the end of the contract duration
29.Can I benefit from the program if I have an active application under the previous Business Development or Training & Wage Support program?
- Enterprises with an active application under the previous version of the Business Development cannot submit a new application
- Enterprises with an active application under the Training & Wage Support program can submit a new application
30.What are the acceptable methods for payments?
31.What are the documents required for reimbursement?
- For items/services paid through cheques/bank transfer:
- Copy of Cheque/Transfer
- Enterprise Bank Statement
- Delivery Note (for items/services)
- Proof of deliverables (for services)
- For Human Capital (wage support) paid through cheque/bank transfer:
- Pay slip for the month
- Copy of Cheque/Transfer
- Enterprise Bank Statement
- For items/services paid via Fawateer:
- Proof of deliverables (for services)
32.What is the new scope of Virtual CRs support services?
Virtual CR owners can:
- Receive up to BHD 1,800 wage support for a period of 6 months (3 quarterly payments of BHD 600)
- Provide services to enterprises
33.Is training covered in the new Business Development program?
As of now, Tamkeen’s support is limited to items/services and Human Capital, excluding training.
34.What’s the difference between the National Employment Program and Tamkeen’s Business Development Program?
National Employment Program targets individuals who graduated in the past 12 months and job seekers registered within the Ministry of Labor and Social Development. Salaries are supported across 36 months (70% for the first year, 50% for the second year, 30% for the third year).
The Business Development Programs targets different types of individuals:
- Full-time Employees: 50% wage support across 18 months (up to BHD 400 per month)
- Part-time Employees: 50% wage support across 18 months (up to BHD 135 per month)
- Wage Increment: 50% wage support across 18 months (up to 40% of salary or BHD 200 per month – whichever is lower)
- Internship: 80% stipend support across 9 months (up to BHD 150 for diploma holders and up to BHD 200 for Bachelor degree holders)
- Outsourcing: up to 50% or BHD 100 per month across 18 months for jobs outsourced
35.Should I input my employee’s basic or net salary for Human Capital application?
36.How will Tamkeen subsidize my employees’ salaries?
The enterprise must pay the employee’s salary and then request for a payment once due. Tamkeen will issue a schedule of payments with due dates upon approval which can be viewed via the portal.
37.What if my employee’s current salary is below the minimum wage criteria but I still wish to apply for Wage Support?
38.What happens if my employee resigned?
You are required to “Dropout” the employee via the portal. You will be eligible to receive the support for the months the employee served your enterprise.
39.What happens to the budget allocated if my employee resigned?